Thursday, June 26, 2008

T n T - Melting Pot


I have been asked about on how to use the melting pot.  Basically - the melting pot as the name implies - melts stuff.  I most commonly use it for 2 purposes - melting UTEE or wax in my projects.  Although the some claim that you can do more - melt chocolate with it etc. LEt's put it this way - I am not keen to mix my food with my art like that although they recommend using a different project pans with for food purposes.

A very IMPORTANT tip to remember about the melting pot is that DO NOT THROW away the lid.  There are currently 2 types of melting pot circulating in the market - one which is the US version and the other the Australian version.  Please bear in mind that both work the same way - although the US version - you will have to address the voltage issue by buying a votage adapter as the voltage in US is 110 and here in Malaysia its 240 V.

On the Australian version however - the voltage is compatible with our country and one just need to change the plug or just to get a plug to adapt it to our socket.  This is really your preference.

The instructions are simple on the melting pot.  When using UTEE,  just pour the UTEE in,  turn up the thermostat to melting UTEE and cover the lid and wait for the UTEE to melt completely before you lift the cover.  The UTEE may not melt completely or to its desired consistency if you do not cover the lid.  We normally melt UTEE together with Flex which makes the UTEE less brittle.  How much flex to use would depend on how much UTEE you are melting. 

What do you do with the remnant UTEE that has been melted after you have used it?  Just pour out the UTEE when hot onto a non stick surface and wait for it to cool. Just wipe away the remaining UTEE in the melting pot with a kitchen towel. Its that easy - cleaning the pot.

To melt wax,  one would have to use a separate project pan and please remember to set the temperature down so as not to burn the wax. 

Phew - this is one long post and hope you will enjoy your melting pot as I have.  As a last word - when I melt the UTEE - I make sure that I am away from the melting pot as I do not like the smell of the melting UTEE but thats just me.

2 comments:

Naddy said...

tq for sharing mich :)such a cool thing to "play" with ehehe

Chowchow said...

I am glad that you like it. I was hooked when I first played with it.